[Samba] nt migration concerns

Joey S. Eisma jeisma at pimes.com.ph
Fri Oct 7 04:01:53 GMT 2005

hi!

we have completed testing samba pdc on a small network using fc3. we
have been succesful so far. we now intend to totally replace our nt4 pdc
with samba pdc.

the following will be the main components of the network:

1. 300++ win98/2000/xx clients
2. win2003 db servers
3. terminal services with 100 clients

before we shutdown the network and do the switch may i ask your inputs
about the following:

1. what are the catches or gotcha's that i have to anticipate?
2. what approach should i take before i take the leap?
3. do i need ldap for samba pdc?
4. it simpliest terms what does ldap do?
5. just in case can i make our current nt4.0 become bdc?
6. having samba pdc, is it possible to authenticate from nt 4. bdc?
7. any other tips?

thank you!