[Samba] Samba, OpenLDAP, numeric logins and vampire

jools jools at oss4all.plus.com
Thu Oct 6 22:53:17 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I have a query regarding the interaction between Samba, LDAP and vampire.

The situation is as follows. I have five NT4 servers serving 1000 users 700 of
which have 4-digit numeric logins. I have a Samba PDC that I'd like to
transfer all the accounts and data to, Vampire being the obvious method.

I can't transfer the logins to POSIX accounts due to the numeric uid/gid
system used by Linux so I elected to use OpenLDAP. I am now at the stage
where I have an LDAP server running and have created all of the NT domain
groups in the LDAP directory.

I have successfully created numeric id accounts in LDAP and an attempt to
Vampire the accounts from the old NT4 PDC to the Samba PDC resulted in all
the users appearing in directory_administrator but no Samba logins working as
the XP clients reported that the accounts didn't exist on the server. Running
pdbedit -Lw showed only about 5 accounts so I'm guessing there's a problem
somewhere along the lines.

My question is therefore, is Vampire going to work in a situation where POSIX
accounts can't be created as part of the migration process and if not, can I
migrate the client accounts and SIDS from the old PDC to the new one in order
to save having to log all of the clients onto the new PDC again.

Cheers,

Jools