[Samba] Tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnomem

colin ingram synergymus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:10:26 GMT 2005

sorry for the long lag in reply...my grandmother passed so I've been down in
TN for her services.

leavenode.20.eatallspam at spamgourmet.com wrote:

You don't see a slowdown or even jobs failing (oom-killer) when you receive
the samba "out of memory" messages?

 no....very strange


I tried deleting browse.dat but this didn't make a difference.  I don't
have wins.dat, gencache.tdb, or connections.tdb.  Should I?????

Actually yes, maybe these files are not built until a first connection has
been established to a new server. Run updatedb and "locate" them afterwards.

 okay I found them....

   panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
   netbios name = alfalfa
   workgroup = OAKWOOD
   server string = Fileserver
   guest account = nobody

Try a "smbclient -L alfalfa -U nobody" and see if that works from the shell.
"nobody" should be able to "browse".

 this works.

I can also

colin at Alfalfa:/$ smbclient -L buckwheat
Domain=[OAKWOOD] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

 Sharename Type Comment
 --------- ---- -------
 IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
 SharedDocs Disk
 share Disk
 ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
 C$ Disk Default share
Domain=[OAKWOOD] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

 Server Comment
 --------- -------

 Workgroup Master
 --------- -------

but when I try
 colin at Alfalfa:/$ smbclient //buckwheat/share
Domain=[OAKWOOD] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

After I found browse.dat, wins.dat, connections.tdb, and gencache.tdb...

colin at Alfalfa:/var/run/samba$ sudo invoke-rc.d samba stop
Stoping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
colin at Alfalfa:/var/run/samba$ sudo rm -f connections.tdb
gencache.tdb/var/lib/samba/wins.dat /var/cache/samba/browse.dat
colin at Alfalfa:/var/run/samba$ sudo invoke-rc.d samba start
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.

and now I can't even connect to or list the shares on any of my clients

colin at Alfalfa:/var/run/samba$ smbclient -L buckwheat
Connection to buckwheat failed
colin at Alfalfa:/var/run/samba$ smbclient //buckwheat/share
Connection to buckwheat failed
colin at Alfalfa:/var/run/samba$ smbclient //darla/share
Connection to darla failed

But I can still list shares on the server. I can also access all shares from
windows clients except those on Buckwheat(the aflicted client)

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 5000
   security = user
   domain logons = yes

You are certain your domain trust stands?
If it does, you should be able to "smbclient //winclient/c$ -U root" and give
the root password, and connect to the admin share of your clients. Or, if you
login to the windows client with root credentials, you should also have local
admin rights on the winbox or at least permission to change domain

 I should have tried that before I deleted those files, because smbclient is
no longer working (see above)

   logon home =
   logon path =
   logon script = %U.bat
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = smbpasswd guest

Rather omit the guest here.

   invalid users = bin adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp operator
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   interfaces = <>
   local master = yes
   os level = 255

Don't use such high levels. You may get adverse effects. Usually 64 is far

 Okay fixed conf...

   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts
   unix password sync = false
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u

   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/netlogon

By all means, make sure the netlogon path is accessible/readable for the
clients. You have to consider the filesystem permissions.

It is

Actually I am uncertain where your problem lies, but it's something
netbios-name-resolution related. You should use "nbtstat -a <nebiosname>" on
windows-clients, and "nmblookup -a <netbiosname> -S" on the linux. You may
substitute "-A <ip-of-host>" if names don't work.
Make sure your dns setup or your /etc/hosts does not point to the same IPs
using different names. Often some setup with different dns/netbios names
makes nothing but a big mess in the end.

Good Luck again, and come back with your solution (hopefully).

 nbstat and nmblookup look okay

colin at Alfalfa:~$ nmblookup -a darla -S
querying darla on <> <> darla<00>
Looking up status of <>

MAC Address = 00-11-95-03-FE-54

colin at Alfalfa:~$ smbclient -L darla
Connection to darla failed
colin at Alfalfa:~$ nmblookup -a buckwheat -S
querying buckwheat on <> <> buckwheat<00>
Looking up status of <>

MAC Address = 00-01-29-F9-39-1B

colin at Alfalfa:~$ smbclient //darla/c$ -U root
Connection to darla failed

And once again nothing I did produced anything interesting in the logs!!!!

More information about the samba mailing list