[Samba] authentication problem with WinXP clients

Jouda Hrouda mlszs at seznam.cz
Thu Oct 6 14:01:11 GMT 2005

Hello,

we have problem with user authentication when accessing shared folders at
standalone Samba server (security=share) from Windows XP.

There is no problem accessing public folders ("guest ok=yes" and "guest
only=yes"). But when trying to access non-public folders ("guest ok=no"
with valid users definition), username / password dialog appears, but username
is always "servername/Guest" and is greyed out, so it can not be changed.
Windows 2000 client is OK - user can enter whatever username in username field.

I know the difference between "share" and "user" security modes, which might
cause the unchangeable username. But it works in Win2000 ... and based on their
specs none of them suits IMHO our objective:
- to have public folders and folders with limited access on one server
- don't annoy users with authentication when they want to access public folders at all.
(username/password authentication should proceed only when clicking on non-public folder).

Is this possible ? Like allow clients to send username in share mode or don't
require login to server in user mode first ? Or any other way ?

Thanks.

Charon

Just in case ... Samba version 3.0.20 and smb.conf:

[global]
server string = XXXXXX
netbios name = XXXXX
workgroup = XXXXXX