[Samba] Re: what's the best filesystem

Tobias Bluhm tobias.bluhm at philips.com
Thu Oct 6 13:10:19 GMT 2005

I gotta put my vote in for ext3. While it is slower than the other fs's:

- It's robust. I've researched this & it seems you can bash ext3/2 pretty
hard & still recover data. I saw too many stories of lost data on the
other fs's for my liking.

- It's fully supported. ACL, xattr, quota, LVM snapshots, shrink, grow,
mount unjournaled, etc. xfs is a port from IRIX, jfs seems to have only a
partial feature set, reiserfs seems to be made for one thing - a sh*tload
of small files.

- It's widely supported. It's the standard fs for Linux.

As with just about anything, fast hardware, plenty of RAM & proper tuning
will get the most out of your system. Why not setup various tests for
yourself - we've used iometer ( www.iometer.org ) recently. My little
hodge-podge of hardware made out fairly well against the "enterprise"
systems here.

Just my 2 cents serving ~ 2TB of ext3 on LVM on sw raid over NFS & Samba.
Disclaimer: I could be very wrong about the current status of things
outside my little world.

toby bluhm
philips medical systems, cleveland ohio
tobias.bluhm at philips.com
440-483-5323

Sean W <nameneeded at gmail.com>
Sent by:
samba-bounces+tobias.bluhm=philips.com at lists.samba.org
10/06/2005 03:26 AM

samba at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[Samba] Re: what's the best filesystem
Classification

Actually, I am setting up an Ubuntu 5.04 box tomorrow as a Samba server
(right after I figure out how to disable the raid controller).  Do you
suggest xfs?  I've been reading this thread and people seem positive on
it, but are there negatives as well?

Sean