[Samba] Re: Replace NT 4.0 with Samba PDC but keep PC WINS *Advice*

SAMBA SAMBA at arkansasurology.com
Wed Oct 5 14:56:35 GMT 2005

>I'd highly recommend "Samba HOW-TO and Reference Guide" and "Samba 3 by
>Example" for both questions below.  "By example" starts with building a
>samba server for a small workgroup, and then takes that example and
>builds on it.  The "HOW-To and Reference Guide" is THE how-to and
>reference (yes, very clever on the title, aren't they?).  You can
>download both documents at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/ in PDF or
>html format for free or purchase the print editions at any online
>store.. ie, Amazon, Bookpool, etc...
>
>For the question regarding WINS, your samba server can be a WINS server
>  or connect to a WINS server, see Chapter 9, section 5 of the HOW-TO.
>For conversion from a winnt PDC to samba PDC, see Chapter 34 of the
>HOW-TO.  I've converted several winnt PDC to samba PDC.  The key
>information isn't knowing samba, it's really understanding how a NT PDC
>works, if you're not sure, that's going to make it more difficult.  But
>it can be done, quite easily.
>
>--
>Eric Feldhusen
>System Administrator     http://www.remc1.org
>PO Box 270              (906) 482-4520  x239
>809 Hecla St            (906) 482-5031 fax
>Hancock, MI  49930      (906) 370 6202 mobile

I bought The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide. Thick book looks like RTFM for the rest of the week! I haven't had to deal much with the PDC so I will read up on that as well.

I was just curious if the steps I provided sounded plausible it sounded ok to me.

I inherited this PDC and am hoping to replace it soon as possible. It is not a real complicated PDC there are only about 12 user accounts(they share generic accts) 3 shares and the normal NT default groups. I could build a new PDC and start from
scratch but I do not want to have to rejoin all these computers to a new domain so I would like to keep the 100+ computer accounts etc.

Thanks for the feedback!