[Samba] how do you manage printers on workstations?

Leon Brooks leon-samba at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Oct 5 02:52:51 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 17:23, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Gerald (Jerry) Carter schrieb:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /q /y /ga /in /n \\server\kyocera
>>> as a domain administrator when machine is booted, and then in a
>>> netlogon script when a user logs in.

>>> In other ways, I'm looking for an easier way to do it :)

>> What exactly about this don't you like ?  Managing printer
>> connections in a logon script is pretty simple.  What are you
>> looking to simplify?

> well for me it's fine, it's just some Windows guys here complaining
> that "it's soooo complicated to do it with Samba".

> I guess it's just different for them, that's why.

"Different" is about it.

Do they value being able to tell what's going on with their systems? Do
they value repeatable results? Do they object to setting changing
themselves, sometimes for no reason and somtimes during an update? Do
they mind being obsoleted when Vista or whatever shanges the buttons
they need to click in order to make it work under Win32? If the answers
are no, no, no and no then maybe they have a case. Or not.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia