[Samba] Replace NT 4.0 with Samba PDC but keep PC WINS *Advice*

Eric Feldhusen efeldhusen at chartermi.net
Tue Oct 4 21:09:05 GMT 2005

I'd highly recommend "Samba HOW-TO and Reference Guide" and "Samba 3 by
Example" for both questions below.  "By example" starts with building a
samba server for a small workgroup, and then takes that example and
builds on it.  The "HOW-To and Reference Guide" is THE how-to and
reference (yes, very clever on the title, aren't they?).  You can
download both documents at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/ in PDF or
html format for free or purchase the print editions at any online
store.. ie, Amazon, Bookpool, etc...

For the question regarding WINS, your samba server can be a WINS server
  or connect to a WINS server, see Chapter 9, section 5 of the HOW-TO.
For conversion from a winnt PDC to samba PDC, see Chapter 34 of the
HOW-TO.  I've converted several winnt PDC to samba PDC.  The key
information isn't knowing samba, it's really understanding how a NT PDC
works, if you're not sure, that's going to make it more difficult.  But
it can be done, quite easily.

--
Eric Feldhusen
System Administrator     http://www.remc1.org