[Samba] NET RPC calls fails

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 3 12:29:16 GMT 2005

>In a domain environment running 3.0.3pre2 I have no problems shutting
>down remote computers.
>
>I now have a small environment with only 2 computers in a workgroup.
>
>My samba server is running on a FreeBSD 5.4 box and my client is a
>Win XP Pro SP2 box.
Ok, I'm assuming this is a newer version of samba?  Can you tell us
exactly which?

>When I try to use net rpc shutdown -I 192.168.1.50 -U Administrator i
>get the response Remote shutdown failed and nothing happends.
>In which logfile can I see more detailed info?
Try adding -d 5 to the commandline, though I'll warn you you'll get a lot
of output to stderr.

Two issues I've seen recently is that certain interim versions of the code
have simply a broken net rpc shutdown that was fixed recently by Jerry,
and also that with WinXP, especially if you're ever using remote desktop,
the return code 1271 (0x4f7) comes back, which says that the system is
locked and can't be shutdown remotely except with the -f (force) flag.

----------------------------
Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center
Samba Team