[Samba] Unable to read/write using Samba3 and WinXP

Andrea Bicciolo a.bicciolo at mtouch.it
Mon Oct 3 10:02:11 GMT 2005

This is my fisrt post here, I hope to be as clear as possible.

Environment: Fedora Core 4 Kernel 2.4.13, Samba 3.0.14a-2. Dual NIC eth0
Gigabit and eth1 10/100. Samba working on eth0.

Samba configuration: 1 share, Read/Write to all known users.3 Users defined
for samba. Share chmod-ed to 777. No domains defined.

Problem: Win XP clients are able to see the Samba server as long as the
share name, but when trying to acces the share, the clients are prompted for
a user/password combination: upon user/pass typing, none seems to be valid.
Users logs in in the XP clients using the same user/password combination of
the samba server: the apparently same configuration on Samba2/Red Hat9
allows wonderful sharing to the very same allowed users without password
prompting.

Also tested with very simple smb.conf configuration file such as:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        map to guest = Bad user
        wins support = yes
        netbios name = Sun
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = yes
        printable = yes

[share1]
        comment = Shared projects
        path = /samba/share1
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        valid users = goofy, donald, mickey ;(fictious names)

With the above configuration, XP clients are still able to see the server
and the share, but when trying to access the share, clients gets prompted
for password but they are not allowed to read/write the share.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Andrea Bicciolo