[Samba] Samba/OpenLDAP reliability issue: backend experience needed

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 3 09:31:38 GMT 2005

Gerd-Christian Michalke schrieb:

 > Hi
 >
 > this is more of an OpenLDAP issue, but since it is mostly used with
Samba, some experience would be helpful.

 > We have a SLES9 PDC, running samba-3.0.14a, openldap 2.2.6
 >
 > Sometimes, the OpenLDAP gets corrupted, no ideas why. It's a bad thing.
 >
 > We have 100+ computers, 300+ users, which shall get 350 computers and
800 users.

 > What would you suggest in order to be reliable ? Reliability is more
important than speed for us.

 > I used to work with a bdb backend, had problems; the SuSE consultant
told us to use ldbm, but it isn't any better.

 > Any advice would be helpful since googleling gives mostly
contradictory information about that.

well, in your case it's likely to be the problem with the OpenLDAP
server, not Samba.

I have almost 30 Samba + OpenLDAP servers and they are 100% reliable.

Generally, OpenLDAP shouldn't get corrupted, either you use bdb or ldbm
or any other backend.

You are running one of the first OpenLDAP from the 2.2.x branch.
First thing I'd do in your case would be to upgrade to either 2.2.28, or
2.3.7.
If the problem persists, go and ask on OpenLDAP mailing lists.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org