[Samba] samba + virtual users +mysql

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 3 04:44:40 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 09:25 -0400, Chip Mefford wrote:
> Perhaps I'm all alone out here, but I don't think so.
>
> I have an environment wherein all my users are virtual
> and live in a chroot jail, and have no shell access
> at all. The users are authenticated for email against
> a mysql database. I should like to give them
> access to a virtual home directory and file server
> tree via samba using the same model.
>
> Digging through the archives and stw, I've seen
> some echos of this approach, but nothing firm.

I *strongly* suggest upgrading your users to real users in an LDAP
directory, with real UIDs and a shell of /bin/false.

While it isn't as cute as virtual users, it is a situation shared with a
far larger user-base, and therefore is much more likely both to work,
and to continue to work.

The pdb_mysql module, which would be a cornerstone of this approach, is
currently being revived by new maintainers, but I would not start a new
network on this basis.

Andrew Bartlett