[Samba] Re: LDAP PDC question

paul kölle paul at subsignal.org
Sat Oct 1 14:28:20 GMT 2005

Derek Harkness wrote:
> I don't want my unix users seeing all  the windows workstations.
Unfortunately, there seems no way to prevent this. Samba makes no
difference looking up users and computers. They are both looked up in
the "passwd" NSS table. One could argue, a computer account should
belong to the "hosts" table, looked up with gethostbyname and tied to
the Host object from nis.schema. But given the fact hosts being handled
by DNS and /etc/hosts, this would probably open several cans of worms.
The other approach would be to detect computer accounts looking for $ at
the end of the name (if this is a valid assumption) and give them their
own codepath.

greetings
 Paul