[Samba] The "single WINS" problem

Andreas Hasenack ahasenack at terra.com.br
Wed Nov 30 20:43:15 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:23:44AM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Andreas Hasenack wrote:
>
> |> so what really happens when WINS server dies (or the PDC at all)?
> |> we have a PDC/BDC samba setup.
> |
> | Name resolution for servers outside the
> | local subnet fails.
> |
> |> it would be a mess if the BDC could not be asked
> |> for logons because WINS of PDC fails, when PDC is down!!!
> |
> | That's what happens in my case, the BDC is useless
> | because the machine hosting the WINS service crashed.
>
> Right.  We dont't do wins replication right now.
>
> But if people really want WINS replication, we can do
> it.  There's been a few patches and metze has made
> amazing progress with it in the Samba 4 tree.  It's
> more an issue of developer resources.
>
> Nothing is impossible in software :-)

I would be very happy with something that did replication among samba
servers, I wouldn't even worry about windows server compatibility. After
all, samba already does the PDC BDC dance without windows compatibility
and it works very well (thanks!).

Searching for alternatives I even found an interesting one that I didn't
know about: #INCLUDE \\server\share\file in windows' LMHOSTS ;) A poor
man's read-only wins ;)