[Samba] Re: /etc/samba/smb.conf not detected.

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Nov 30 14:19:14 GMT 2005

Stephen Akandwanaho wrote:

> I have a problem with my samba in that when run /etc/samba/smb.conf
> ,it brings erros forexample
>  /etc/samba/smb.conf command not found

Did you install Samba from the source code, or a package from one of the major Linux distros? I ran into issues with locations on files when I needed to test a patch the Samba team gave me to try. I
did not get the compiling environment set just right on Debian, and the resulting binary was looking for files in default locations and not Debian locations. For testing I simply made some links, but
I would not suggest such a hack for a real server.

If possible, run from a package. Unless you have settings / configurations you can not afford to loose, you might try having your package manager "purge" the package which would remove no only the
binaries, but also the configuration files. At least on Debian that is an option. When you re-install from that point, it is as if Samba "had never been on the computer" and it "should" work. ;-)

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems