[Samba] ACL confusion

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 16:26:26 GMT 2005

I'm seeing an oddity regarding ACLs.

I have a user who wants others to be able to add stuff to her folder,
but she wants to make sure that she has access by default to files
added to her folder.  The easiest way to do this, I thought, is to set
the user's ACL to apply to this folder, subfolder, and files.
(Right-click on the folder, choose Properties, click on Security,
click Advanced, select the user's ACL, click Edit, and change "Apply
onto" from "This folder only" to "This folder, subfolder, and files.")
 However, this didn't work; instead of setting default permissions for
the named user, it sets the default permissions the file owner
(default:user::rwx in Linux terms, CREATOR OWNER in Windows terms).
If I then repeat the above steps, it sets the default permissions for
the named user in addition to the default perms for the file owner.
This works, but it's very nonintuitive, and it's probably not
something that the average user would get.

Am I'm misunderstanding something, or do I have something
misconfigured, or is this possibly a bug in Samba?

Josh Kelley