[Samba] windows printer driver installation with samba and cups

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Tue Nov 29 05:04:38 GMT 2005

> [print$]
>          path = /daten/printers
>
> myserver:/ # la daten/printers/
> total 1
> drwxrwxr-x   2 root mygroup  48 Nov 25 15:29 .
> drwxr-xr-x  20 root mygroup 472 Nov 25 14:59 ..

Where are the driver files?  It looks like you haven't installed them.

> Under my windows 2000 (and XP) client, I see my printer within the
> folder "PRINTERS". With "properties->No->Advanced->New
> Driver" (Windows-Driver-Wizard) I can specify the driver and follow
> all instructions. At the end, when I finish the wizard, a message
> "can not install driver. the procedure could not finished" appears.
> Within the directory /daten/printers NO DRIVER is installed!

*You* have to put the printer's drivers in /daten/printers by hand
first, so that the Windows boxes can find those files and copy them
across.

> Did someone know this problem or see something similar?

Try "man cupsaddsmb" and read the Samba manual referring to installing
printers.  It looks like all you need to do is copy the printer drivers
across, run cupsaddsmb and then it will work.

Cheers,
Adam.