[Samba] ~! High CPU usage on SLES9 box running 3.0.14a when printing via LPD !~

powderskier9 at hotmail.com powderskier9 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 01:20:37 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I am currently experiencing an issue on our network when people are printing
via LPD. Recently, we upgraded our main Samba server from Suse 8.0 running
Samba 2.28 to SLES9 running 3.0.14a. The upgrade was done mainly to resolve
oplocks issues that appear to be resolved in 3.0.14a.

Since we have upgraded, top is showing that lp is running above 50% of CPU
usage on the server when being printed to. Basically it seems that whenever
we have a fair bit of printing on the network, (30 clients printing) the CPU
usage for lp will spike and eventually the server becomes unresponsive. The
server does not stop working, it just becomes bogged down and lp will
eventually stop. So if I run a chkconfig on the server, I will not see lp
running, it is stopped. This is currently causing some major issues on our
network, and was not something that we encountered when testing with 3
systems during a test period on a test LAN.

Any help or further information that I can provide? Does anybody have any
suggestions as to what could be causing the high cpu usage? Possible testing
procedures?

We currently have our smb.conf file set to printing = lprng.

Your time and attention to this issue are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark