[Samba] useradd setuid bit

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Nov 27 21:45:17 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 10:28 +0100, Szalai Ákos wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've a little question:
>
> When the samba create machine account it's uid is 0 (root) or anything
> else? I've created a samba jail, and I want to know the useradd binary
> should be setuid or not.

Machine accounts should most certainly *not* be uid 0.  They are used
for logins, and are valid user accounts in every respect (particularly
with 3.0.21 when released).

I see no reason why the useradd binary should be setuid, and I'm a
little baffled by what would make you think it should be.

Andrew Bartlett