[Samba] Best way to upgrade domain from control by 2.2.5 PDC to control by 3.0.20b PDC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 27 02:25:44 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 08:56 -0700, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Saturday 26 November 2005 08:40, Kevin wrote:
> > > Samba-2.2.x CAN be used as a BDC, but it was not officially supported.
> > > It is officially supported in Samba-3.0.x.
> >
> > My question about BDC was not whether 2.2.x could be used as a BDC, but
> > rather, if I should expect any problems in using 3.x as a BDC for a
> > 2.2.5 PDC (which I'm still unsure of, but I'll drop it in hopes of
> > finding an answer in the Samba-3 by Example book).  Perhaps I could have
> > written that more clearly in the first instance.  Apologies for creating
> > the confusion there.
>
> I should point out that the reason a Samba-2.x and Samba-3.x DC can NOT be
> mixed is because the PDC/BDC relationship requires a shared LDAP server and
> Samba-2.x has a schema that differs from the Samba-3 schemas.
----
I'm not sure that this is actually relevant to the OP but actually, the
real reason that samba can't act as a true BDC is that neither samba 2.x
and 3.x contain the code to replicate SAM information among DC peers.

Additionally, all methods of SAM replication which are available (i.e.
rsysnc of relevant files or LDAP) represent the impression of PDC/BDC
but not the reality of SAM replication. Like the differences between
LDAP schema between 2.x and 3.x are incompatible, so are the other
associated files which store other important information which by using
tools like rsync creates a simulated PDC/BDC environment (no comment on
effectiveness since I have never attempted this method).
----
> It seems that my message is not getting through!
>
> If you want deployment information - read the book "Samba-3 by
> Example".
> That book, part of the official Samba documenation, provides
> prescriptive
> guidance for Samba deployment, migration and update/upgrade tasks.
----
As for your message getting through...As one of the purchasers of the
dead tree version of your "Office Samba 3 How-To" (2nd printing), I am
not always versant with which material has migrated over to your 'By
Example' and which remains in the How-To...I apologize for not knowing
which parts of the info moved. Perhaps it is my own stubbornness but it
seems to me that the material titled "How-To" should contain the
information like 'How-To' migrate from Samba 2 to Samba 3 or 'How-To'
migrate from NT4 PDC to Samba PDC. Perhaps for clarity purposes, the
How-To should be renamed to something more like 'The official reference
guide' or similar as it no longer apparently contains 'How-To'
information.

Craig

believed to be clean.