[Samba] The "single WINS" problem

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Nov 26 06:51:06 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 16:45 -0700, John H Terpstra wrote:
> The largest network I have worked with has 20 remote and local segments with
> over 4200 Windows clients over a large WAN. The only time any problem was
> experienced with the single WINS server was when a link went down, in which
> case the network was off the air anyhow, and the other few times occured when
> a netwrok card or a switch went defective. The total lost time over the past
> 3 years has been about 4 hours.

My experience is similar, with the old P133, RH 7.3 still one of the
most reliable machines on the network (after the CPU fan was upgraded 4
years ago).   The machine has been running for 5.5 years, I think...

I am of course looking forward to the WINS replication functionality in
Samba4, but I've had more trouble from my 'rudundent' DNS servers than
the little WINS server has ever given me.

Andrew Bartlett