[Samba] The "single WINS" problem

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Nov 26 06:06:26 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 20:42 -0200, Andreas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 10:31:01PM +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > > So you can't use DNS for that sixteenth field of netbios names (like
> > > <1C>, <1B>, etc). Or can you?
> >
> > Dynamic DNS is a setup primarily for networks with DHCP. Using DHCP, you can
> > only have 1 IP lease per physical interface. This IP, along with the
> > system's hostname, are registered in DNS, and that's were we resolve the
> > names you currently use in a Netbios/WINS environment.
>
> I understood this part. What I didn't understand is how a DNS server can
> answer queries like "DOMAIN<1C>" and "DOMAIN<1B>".

It cannot.  I typically run a WINS server to handle those names, with
names already in DNS, and 'dns proxy = yes' set, so that the 'normal'
names are avaialble via WINS also.

In Samba4, metze is developing WINS replication testsuites and server
functionality, but you will need to ask him about where it is up to.

Andrew Bartlett