[Samba] The "single WINS" problem

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at pczone-clan.nl
Thu Nov 24 20:38:29 GMT 2005

> Subject: [Samba] The "single WINS" problem
>
> Everybody encourages Samba admins to enable WINS whenever possible, and
> I agree that it helps a lot to solve these networks' problems. It's so
> good that, when it fails, it's a disaster.
>
> How are people coping with the samba limitation of not being able to
> replicate the WINS database and thus its inability to have more than one
> WINS server in a domain?

I'm in a hybrid environment using both linux and Windows, and I prefer not
to use WINS. It would mess up the DDNS environment I currently have set up,
since at some point Windows still gives WINS a higher priority over DNS.
Linux, of course, doesn't really care ;)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
kanarip