[Samba] How to get rid of a server comment?

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 24 02:33:42 GMT 2005

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply!

> You need to delete it from the registry of all clients that have it
> registered int their registry. Samba does not cache that information.

Do the client machines make Samba update its browse list though?
Because it's Samba that's telling me the comment has returned - if I
run this:

  smbclient -L localhost

I get this: (as localhost is a master browser)

  Server               Comment
  HOSTNAME             My Server

Even if I edit browse.dat and remove the comment, smbd adds it back in
again after a few minutes, so the only thing I can think of is that the
client machines have cached the comment and are sending it back to the
server, which doesn't seem to realise that its own comment has
changed...

Cheers,
Adam.