[Samba] Performance Problem / failed to verify PAC server signature

Christoph Kaegi kgc at zhwin.ch
Tue Nov 22 10:15:40 GMT 2005

On 22.11-10:58, Guenther Deschner wrote:
> > -------------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------------
> > [2005/11/21 16:09:28, 3] libsmb/clikrb5.c:smb_krb5_verify_checksum(695)
> >   smb_krb5_verify_checksum: krb5_c_verify_checksum() failed: Bad encryption type
> > [2005/11/21 16:09:28, 2] libads/authdata.c:check_pac_checksum(666)
> >   check_pac_checksum: PAC Verification failed: Bad encryption type (-1765328196)
> > [2005/11/21 16:09:28, 0] libads/authdata.c:decode_pac_data(876)
> >   decode_pac_data: failed to verify PAC server signature
> > [2005/11/21 16:09:28, 3] libads/kerberos_verify.c:ads_verify_ticket(416)
> >   ads_verify_ticket: failed to decode PAC_DATA: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> > -------------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------------
>
> First of all: are you sure you are running Samba 3.0.20? The PAC
> verification code is not in any of the 3.0.20/a/b tarball releases (just
> accidentially in the 3.0.20a subversion tags directory) but only in the
> 3.0.21 series of pre-releases/rcs.

The production Server runs 3.0.20, but the test Server, where I
analyzed this and where the logs are coming from is 3.0.21rc1 indeed.

Sorry for the confusion.

But in both cases, the behaviour on the network is the same
(STATUS_LOGON_FAILUREs with a certain delay, depending on load)

> Then you most probably are forced to use DES keys when authenticating with
> Kerberos on your OS, right? PAC verification must then fail due to a bug
> in Windows (which fails to put DES-based checksum into the PAC
> signatures), so we can't verify the signature. What exact Kerberos library
> are you using (version) ?

Hm, how can I determine, if I use DES keys? I have the following in
krb5.conf (if that is what you mean):

-------------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------------
   default_tkt_enctypes = des-cbc-crc, des-cbc-md5
   default_tgs_enctypes = des-cbc-crc, des-cbc-md5
-------------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------------

I derived this from google knowledge, but I'll change this
gladly if you tell me it is wrong.

Kerberos is MIT Kerbers5 1.4

> Nonetheless, failure of the PAC verification is non-critical, we just
> return to old behaviour and ignore the PAC again, meaning that you can
> ignore the error messages.

Yes, everything is functioning, but we have delays of several minutes
for some clients, which is not really acceptable for them anymore.

These sesssion setup requests / failures are responsible for the most
part of the time it takes to access MyDocuments. So I figured, if
we can solve this, the delays should be back in acceptable ranges.

What exactly is this PAC, btw.?

Thanks very much

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc at zhwin.ch