[Samba] Help for problem samba between linux and windows

Jay Fenlason fenlason at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 22:29:34 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:04:18AM +0100, Christelle Ronce wrote:

> Hi,
> Excuse my poor english !!
> I have a problem samba between linux and windows.
> I explain my actual situation :
>
> - windows 2000 SP4 - share a directory
> my_windows : d:\jagodin\partage
>
> - linux Redhat ES 4 - kernel version 2.6.9-5
> in /etc/fstab :
> //my_windows/partage         /export/home/cerit/jagodin/partage smbfs
>
> username=tomcat,password=xxxxx,rw,uid=tomcat,gid=tomcat,codepage=cp850,iocharset=utf8
> 0 0

That's a Linux Kernel SMBFS problem, not a Samba problem.  The first
thing to try is the Linux CIFS filesystem instead.  See
http://www.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html
or "man mount.cifs" but it may be as simple as replacing "smbfs" with
"cifs" in your /etc/fstab.

If that doesn't help, contact your Red Hat support person, or an
appropriate Linux kernel mailing list.  Unfortunatly, I don't think
smbfs has an upstream maintainer, so switching to cifs really is the
best option.

			-- JF