[Samba] nsswitch not working for ldap

Tony Austin nsswitch.500.jackrabbit at spamgourmet.com
Fri Nov 18 14:05:01 GMT 2005

> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 13:32 +0000, Tony Austin wrote:
>> I am following the instruction in Samba by Example chapter 6 on a RHEL4
>> server.  Everything seems OK until I get to 6.3.5.7, which says to do
>> the
>> following:-
>>
>> root# getent passwd | grep Adminstrator
>>
>> which returns nothing, indicating that the nsswitch (nss_ldap libary) is
>> not working.
>>
>> I cannot find anything in any of the log files to give my a clue nor any
>> hints on how to debug this.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> ----
> redhat? version?

Enterprise Linux El version 4 64-bit

> does 'by Example' really suggest using ldbm?

No.  It's my first go with LDAP and I copied it from a working RHEL3 config.

> can you perform base search from command line?
>
> ldapsearch -x -h localhost \
> -D 'cn=Manager,dc=phoenixinteriorsltd,dc=com' \
> -W '(objectclass=*)'
>
> and get results?

No. I get:-

[root at localhost]# ldapsearch -x -h localhost -D
'cn=Manager,dc=phoenixinteriorsltd,dc=com' -W '(objectclass=*)'
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

But I do get results with:-

[root at localhost]# ldapsearch -x -b "dc=phoenixinteriorsltd,dc=com"
"(ObjectClass=*)"
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=phoenixinteriorsltd,dc=com> with scope sub
# filter: (ObjectClass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# phoenixinteriorsltd.com