[Samba] Promoting Samba BDC to PDC

adrian sender adrian_au1 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 04:03:46 GMT 2005

Pavan,

Assuming you can id username; pdbedit -Lv username, slapcat, getent passwd,
gentent group etc on the BDC then we can assume that all information is been
replicated and ldap is working.

There is a command used to query what domain controllers are on your
network, nmblookup. I have not used this in a while and cannot remember the
exact command; but because you have a pdc & bdc they register the same
netbios name under 1b & 1c. I'll try to find this out as its very usefull;
from it you can tell how many domain controllers are on a network.

Also remember that you cannot join a machine to a domain when the pdc is
down; you can however login.

Here is my working bdc smb.conf without the shares; it is a copy of the one
from Samba 3 by example.
(Chapter 6)
[global]
unix charset = LOCALE
workgroup = DDESIGN
netbios name = node2
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 50
smb ports = 139
name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
printcap name = CUPS
show add printer wizard = No
logon script = %U.bat
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon drive = H:
domain logons = Yes
os level = 63
domain master = No
wins server = 192.168.0.2
ldap suffix = dc=ddesign,dc=com
ldap machine suffix = ou=People
ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
#ldap admin dn = cn=sambaadmin,dc=ddesign,dc=com
ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=ddesign,dc=com
utmp = Yes
idmap backend = ldap://192.168.0.2
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
printing = cups

I have idmap backend pointing to the pdc.

Regards,

Adrian Sender.