[Samba] Can Windows 'Network Drive' name be changed ?

Gary MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Thu Nov 17 21:35:06 GMT 2005

kurt weiss wrote:
> Gary Roussak schrieb:
>
>> In Windows Explorer, 'Network Drives' section, the Samba share I've set
>> up is described as:
>>
>> share on 'Samba 3.0.14a-0.4-SUSE (Our_server_IP_Address)' (K:)
>>
>> Is there any way of configuring Samba to display something other than
>> "Samba 3.0.14a-0.4-SUSE (Our_server_IP_Address)" as the Network Drive
>> description, for example:
>

> in smb.conf:
> server string = text
>
> RTFM before posting to the list (see rules)

Easy on the RTFM. :) I also fought this for along time. Even after I changed the above mentioned string, the d*&m XP machines still displayed the long name. There is some sort of cacheing going on in XP that has to be cleared. Sorry I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but be aware of that Gary and Google for the instructions.