[Samba] what is the SID of the domain administrator?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Nov 16 16:09:40 GMT 2005

> >>Does the domain administrator SID always end with -1000?
> >
> > It should never be 1000
> >
> > Please review
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243330
>
> Well, for me it's -1000 for two different Samba domains. Coincidence?

You probably had a domain user with UID 0 (root) and then added samba
attributes to it.  The default RID calculation (uid*2)+1000 would have given
you the 1000.  Otherwise, maybe the smbldap-populate script did it that way
in old versions?  Anyway, I don't think windows won't respect that user as
being an administrator unless the RID portion is what is listed in the doc
above.

> > smbldap-usershow.  If not, you can use pdbedit -L -v
> <username> which should
> > give you all of the windows related info.
>
> smbldap-usershow was what I was looking for! :)

For general purpose, the pdbedit is probably a better use since it doesn't
care what your backend is, but smbldap-usershow gives you non-samba stuff as
well.