[Samba] Windows->LDAP->Samba

Mont Rothstein mont.rothstein at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 20:23:24 GMT 2005

I am hoping someone can tell me if I am trying something that can't be done.

What I would like to be able to do is setup a Linux file server that Windows
users can use, including the use of ACLs. AFIK this should not be a problem.

The way I would like to go about doing this is what may be a problem.

I would like to be able to add a user to the Directory Server (Fedora) and
only via interaction with the Directory Server enable the user to access the
Linux file server via Samba. The Samba server would simply be a file server,
not a PDC. Everything I have found thus far seems to require that I manually
create a Unix account for each user, and then add the Unix user to Samba and
LDAP.

Is the way I want to do this not possible, or am I simply reading the wrong
docs/being a foolish noobie?

I should also note that I am not tied to Fedora Directory Server if OpenLDAP
can do this but Fedora can't.

If anyone can confirm that I can/can not do what I want I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Mont