[Samba] OpenLDAP and SAMBA

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 15 15:19:15 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 02:00, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Miguel Lopez schrieb:
> > Hi everybody!
> >
> > In my company, we want to migrate from Windows NT to a Linux PDC. I am
> > responsible for the change so I am searching for the best solution.
> > After some time surfnig in google, I decide to use a LDAP server for
> > users maintenance and SAMBA as a file server. and PDC controller
> >
> > The first step was configure LDAP for autenticating linux users, which
> > works fine. Then I configure SAMBA for file sharing using local
> > autentication (ie against passwd file) and works fine too. My problem
> > appears when i try to autenticate the SAMBA users against the LDAP
> >
> > I think the problem is getting the right pass or user or sthing similar.
> > I will be very grateful if someone can help me.
>
> try reading and following Samba by Example, I think it was in the
> chapter 6 where Samba + LDAP setup was explained in detail.

In the first edition of "Samba-3 by Example" chapters 6 and 7 dealt with
Samba-3 plus LDAP.  In the second editiona this is in chapters 5 and 6.

The second edition also added section 5.1.3.7 which adds diagnostic guidance.

The second edition is available from Amazon.Com - check ISBN: 013188221X, or
it can be downloaded from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

The on-line version on Samba.Org is updated within 24 hours of any change or
update.

- John T.