[Samba] Roaming profiles migration

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Nov 15 14:01:13 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 14:32 +0100, Daniel Ruiz Jimenez wrote:
> Hi!!
>
> I'm going to migrate from an old debian machine to a new one. This new machine has installed debian sarge 3.1 and samba 2.2. (old has samba 2 too).
>
> I need an *easy* method to migrate my roaming users profiles to my new samba server. I heard about some metod to change the sid, but only incomplete information.

-----
samba 2.2.x is no longer supported.

If I understand you correctly, the 'easy' way would have been to copy
all of the samba files (smbpasswd, smb.conf, wins.dat etc.) from 1
server to the other and the profiles from 1 system to the other and you
would have to take care of the user/group permissions of the move (and
thereby likely have to take your /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/shadow
files too).

The samba How-To (www.samba.org - see documentation) has information on
migrating a user profile around.

Craig