[Samba] Unable to connect samba server using hostname

updatemyself . updatemyself at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:52:40 GMT 2005

Strebel, Franz R & kurt weiss

All My machines are in same subnet..
and its resolving the IP address .. correctly..
i am using samba-3.0.14a-1....
(i download src rom from samb.org <http://samb.org> and rebuid the rpm using

--with acl support option)

most of my clients are perfactly accessing samba share with out any
problem..
only few machines having above problem..

all are same configuration same Operating system
Windows XP with SP2
Firewall Disabled

On 11/15/05, Strebel, Franz R. <strebelf at who.int> wrote:

> Netbios name resolution does not work across subnets
> so I am guessing that that is causing the problem. Using
> the IP address does not have this issue.
>
> There are two ways to deal with this:
>
> 1. have a WINS server
> 2. put appropriate entries in the LMHOSTS file
>
> More info can be found here:
> http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/wintcp/wtcpname.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,