[Samba] Re: net rpc vampire - cannot login to migrated computer accounts

Christoph Peus cp at peus.net
Sun Nov 13 16:21:49 GMT 2005

Christoph Peus wrote:

> I've migrated our NT4 domain to sambe 3.0.20b/ldap backend with "net rpc
> vampire", and nearly everything works as expected. But one big problem
> remains: it's not possible to login to the domains member maschines now,
> because "the domain is not available at the moment" (translated from
> german). After the maschine rejoined the samba domain, login works. (But
> this is not an option for our ~500 maschines...)

I have to comment myself. I looked at the system eventlog of the client
maschine and found the following error message from the netlogon service:

"The domain of this computer (UNIWH) has been downgraded from Windows 2000
or newer to Windows NT4 or older. This computer cannot function properly in
this case for authentication purposes. This computer needs to rejoin the
domain.
The following error occurred: There are currently no logon servers
available to service the logon request."

Aha. That's a clear statement.
It's true that the DC was downgraded from Windows 2000 to NT4, because the
original domain is Windows 2000/AD runinng in mixed mode, but every
reference to "net rpc vampire" and "AD in mixed mode" says that this works.
Is it possible that "net rpc vampire" works only partially when used with
AD/mixed mode?

BTW: I'm not the first to encounter this problem. Another samba user (Kang
Sun) reported exactly the same problem about a year ago, but didn't get an
answer.

HELP!!!
Thanks.

Christoph