[Samba] Can't connect to smb share that's a mounted file system

Mike Hanby flakrat at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 23:33:18 GMT 2005

Howdy y'all, I have a new partition, /dev/hdc1 that's ext3 formatted.
# mkfs.ext3 -L /backup /dev/hdc1

Then added it to /etc/fstab
LABEL=/backup           /backup                 ext3    defaults        1 2

As you can see I'm mounting the file system into directory /backup

My smb.conf file has the following settings:

security = share

[netfiles]
   comment = Network file storage space
   path = /backup
   read only = no
   public = yes

Now, before mounting /dev/hdc1, I can connect to the share from my XP system
using:  \\smbmachine\netfiles

Then, I mount the file system to /backup:  mount /dev/hdc1   and try to
connect:  \\smbmachine\netfiles

This time XP either prompts me for a GUEST password, or I get an error
"\\smbmachine\netfiles is not accessible."

Here's the permissions:

/backup directory before mounting /dev/hdc1 into it:
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 12 17:27 /backup

Now, I mount /dev/hdc1 to /backup and here's the permissions
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Nov 12 17:31 /backup

Any idea why I can browse into the netfiles share from my XP machine when
/backup is just a directory, but not after mounting /dev/hdc1 to it?

Thanks for any help, Mike