[Samba] Samba/LDAP-Backend stability on Debian Sarge

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 12 19:05:28 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 12:35 -0500, Jorge Santiago wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, excuse me if this post is a bit offtopic, maybe this should be
> posted in the debian-users maillist, but I just wanted to read your
> experiences with this kind of setup, since I've  migrated the server
> to Debian Sarge using LDAP Backend to serve clients using WinXP and
> Win98, and I've got this serious problems:
>
> - Samba segfaults [1]
> - slapd process crashes very often, almost once per day (i had to
> create a cron job to restart it periodically).
> - Slow MS Access database access [2] (I'm still trying to figure this
> one, maybe is a change of default in some samba option).
>
> Any of you is running a setup like this and having similar problems?
> Any Idea on how I could solve any of this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> santiago.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=314461
> [2] http://rubyurl.com/9Dz
----
seems as though you have to fix samba segfaulting issue and slapd issue
first before you can think about fixing slow Access issue.

samba is very stable daemon when properly installed & configured

openldap is very stable daemon when properly installed & configured

I haven't a clue on where you might have deviated in
installation/configuration processes on either samba or openldap that
might be causing your issues and you might want to use debian resources
to help you troubleshoot them.

Craig

believed to be clean.