[Samba] how to migrate to samba-ldap transparently?

Pablo Chamorro C. pchamorro at ingeominas.gov.co
Sat Nov 12 15:04:59 GMT 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Craig White wrote:

> of course you can change the SID on the PDC but that isn't gonna work
> for the computers that are already joined to the domain that still have
> the old SID

ok, my thinking is if e.g. I would need to upgrade my Linux RH 9.0/samba
3.0.5-2 to e.g. FC4/samba 3.0.20, to avoid rejoin every windows client to
the new domain, it would be enough to change the new PDC SID to the old
one.  So in that ideal scenario it would be transparent.

> samba documentation has information about migrating user profiles in the
> excellent How-To. Microsoft has lots of documentation about migrating
> user profiles. There is likely to be some 3rd party utilities to do that
> as well. I have no experience with them.

thank you, I already was reading, I'm gonna try.

>>> to the other, see the samba documentation for a comprehensive discussion
>>> on migrating user profiles.

I see, thanks.

> not everyone knows about the other mail lists for ldap and those lists
> aren't openldap specific. I'm not going to get involved with your
> frustration with openldap and the consultant you brought in to help you
> with it. My feeling is that if you are going to commit to using LDAP,
> you really need to understand it before you marry it to your everyday
> functionality because you aren't going to be able to fix it when it
> breaks until you understand it.

Actually I'm not frustrated.  The person who is helping us with ldap and
samba is doing his best, only complaining with my refused 'off topic'
emails, but perhaps you are right.  I know that ldap is a good think,
specially to make possible to have a good PDC/BDCs implementation, but
here the situation is a little difficult e.g. is hard to find courses for
learning/training on ldap, even on samba, so what we have managed to
deploy in our institution is based on the basic functionality of free
software, for our own, trying to learn first how it works or trying to
have a "plan B" to use when a system fails when is possible.

I appreciate very much your words and advices,

Pablo Chamorro C.

--
Tel: +57 (2) 7314752/3222/2595 - Fax: +57 (2) 7310514
Carrera 31 #18-07 Parque Infantil - PO Box 1795 - Pasto