[Samba] samba domain vs linux network security

Derek Harkness dharknes at umd.umich.edu
Fri Nov 11 17:10:38 GMT 2005

We use AFS/Kerberos/LDAP to provide home directories to our Linux/
Unix/OSX users, our Windows users connect into our Samba domain.
Samba has pretty good AFS support for gatewaying SMB <-> AFS
requests, at a minor weakening of filesystem security.  I'm hoping
Samba4 will allow me to use Kerberos all the way through.  The
biggest downside to the AFS/Kerberos/LDAP/Samba setup is complexity,
each service is a pain to setup by itself, getting them working
together nearly involved human sacrifice.  But the system has been
working for about a year with 99.99% uptime.

A big thanks to all the Samba developers!
Derek