[Samba] login scripts not being run at session startup

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 11 05:11:41 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 18:47 +0100, David Landgren wrote:
> List,
>  I have a weird problem on a 3.0.20 PDC. My users can log on correctly (user
> credentials is in LDAP) to the domain but the login.bat file is not always
> run.
>  For some people, it is always run. For other people, it is never run. For a
> final group, sometimes it runs, sometimes it doesn't. There aren't any real
> differences in the LDAP entry for the account. The relevant line in smb.confis:
>   logon script = \\ns1\netlogon\login\%U <file://\\ns1\netlogon\login\%U>
>  In all cases, it is possible to go manually to
> \\pdc\netlogin\login<file://\\pdc\netlogin\login>directory, and
> double-click on the script and it runs correctly, so its not
> a permisssions problem.
>  At log level 3, I don't see any glaring errors in the log file of the
> client machine. Nor do I see anything out of the ordinary in smbd.log.
>  Can anyone give me a few pointers on things to try to find out what's
> happening?
>  Thanks,
----
WinNT Home doesn't do logon - no way for that to work.

Logon scripts MUST be edited and saved with Windows line endings. If you
edit in UNIX/Linux, you need to run it through unix2dos type conversion.

WinNT, Win2K, WinXP Prof are capable of logging in via 'cached'
credentials (unless told not to do so by registry/policy) and thus a
login is possible without connecting to PDC/BDC

WINS / network browsing might not be working properly... Try opening 'My
Network Places' on a system that doesn't run a logon script and click
through to see if the PDC/BDC actually show up in Windows Browser. If
not, you have to fix WINS

Are you sure that it's a per user and not a per machine thing? On a
machine where the script doesn't run for one particular user, try
logging in as another user who hasn't had a problem getting logon script
to run and vice versa.

Craig

believed to be clean.