[Samba] Re: What file gets corrupted in Samba when perms stop working correctly?

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Thu Nov 10 13:56:38 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> File Access checks is done by the OS.  There is no
> associated tdb for file system perms.  The only possible
> option might be if you tweaked the share permissions
> (via server manager) in share_info.tdb.

Nope, don't have the things set up to allow the Windows tools to admin the Samba server.

I found one thing I was thinking of... this would not be caused by a scrambled /var/lib/samba/group_mapping.tdb file? The rest of the group memberships for the two accounts are quite different since
one is of administrative role vs user role. They just happen to have this special group in common, and one other. So maybe adding together the "right" combo of groups adds up to trouble due to some
corruption in that file is where my mind was going.

Also annoying, that of course it did work at one time, and still works on every other PDC from site to site. So tracking down the "something" is always fun.

I kind of wanted to get it fixed before I upgrade from 3.0.14a to Simo's new 3.0.20b packages he made so as to not put more variables into this server / problem. I will keep digging once this process
box gets done with its work and I can log it in/out a few times as I tinker.

Thanks as always Jerry! :-)

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems