[Samba] Possible to have Email-Adresses as logins?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 9 21:35:58 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 14:00 +0100, Oliver Heering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we want to set up a samba-server with an ldap-backend (so far no
> problem, got this running already) but want the users to login to
> workstations using their email-address instead of a "normal"
> login-name.
>
> I already figured out that i cannot add unix users with an "@" in
> their login neither via "useradd" nor via "smbldap-useradd", so i was
> thinking about some username-mapping ("username map" in smb.conf).
>
> My question is: is it possible to map for example "me at home.com" to
> some sort of "me_at_home.com" or "me_at_home_com"? And if yes, what
> replacement for the "@" works best?
>
> Please do not ask "why do you want to use email-addresses as login".
> This is a requirement from my boss and i can't do anything about it.
> At least not as long as i've got a definite "won't work" from you
> guys. :)

I would consider it dangerous, because I know there are inbuilt
assumptions in windows about that type of login.  I'm working on Samba4
at the moment, and in ADS mode, it produces a completely different type
of kerberos login.

It shouldn't have quite the same impact in Samba3 emulating something
like NT4, but I would be worried.

Andrew Bartlett