[Samba] Re: Re: A lot of IPC$ connections

Franz Pförtsch franz.pfoertsch at brose.net
Wed Nov 9 16:39:02 GMT 2005

I made a top and saw the cupsd is consuming the CPU.

In my opinion the IPC$ is asking about printers!

here a snipped of my smb.conf
---8<------------------
global]
        unix charset = LOCALE
        workgroup = BROSE
        realm = BROSE.NET
        server string = %h Samba %v
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1, eth1
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = ADS
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        use kerberos keytab = Yes
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        printcap cache time = 120
#        name resolve order = host wins bcast
        hostname lookups = Yes
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        wins server = brose.net
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-90000
        idmap gid = 10000-90000
        winbind separator = +
        printer admin = @BROSE+COB_CUPS_Printer_Admin

First I set the "printcap cache time" to 60 and I had a "peek CPU" of 50 %.
Then I changed to 120 and now the "peek CPU" has a value of 30 %

There are 89 printqueues at cups defined.

Is there no chaching mechanism?

regards
Franz