[Samba] Samba/Unicode

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 07:25:35 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have set up a Linux server to back up the PCs on our LAN.  The PCs run
Win2K proand WinXP.  I've used Samba version 3.0.10, which comes with Ubuntu
5.04, together with smbmount to mount the Windows shares on the Linux box,
and rsync into the backup directory from there.

The system works smoothly for files with English names, but fails for files
with non-English characters in their names.  When I mount the shares using
samba, and cd to a directory which contains Unicode file names, ls shows
question marks in file names (my Linux box locale is set to en-US.UTF8.)
And rsync fails to grab the files with such names, but on error messages it
prints, the characters in file names look like rubbish.  Here's an example:

file has vanished:
"/srv/backupd/mnt/GHAFIRI/E_drive$/NewServerHD/D/ã?íñ/í??? ¤ñ? ???ò??
????.doc"

(Simply copied from a putty ssh shell to the Linux box.)

I'm wonderring how can I mount the Windows shares in a way that Samba
represents the correct file names correctly.  I've browsed through the docs
at samba.org, but I haven't seen any "tutorials" and the existing docs seem
to explain how things work, not how to set them up (or at least, I have been
unable to find such information.)

Thanks for any help!
Ehsan