[Samba] Share file permissions

Donald W Watson dwatson at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 7 22:22:05 GMT 2005

I have not been able to find this exact problem on the mailing list;
apologize if I missed it.

I have tried both samba versions 3.0.20 and 3.0.21pre1.

The file share in smb.conf has these entries:
    path = /home/samba/myshare
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
    force create mode = 0644
    force directory mode = 0775

The directory "myshare" has the following permissions:   nobody root
dwrxr-xr-x
A file called "myfile" on "myshare" has the following permissions:  nobody
root -rw-r--r--
A mount directory on a second machine has the following permissions:
nobody root drwxrwxrwx
The share is mounted on the mount directory on the second with a non-root
user:
          smbmount //<fileserver ipaddr>/myshare -o username=<non root
user>,password=<non root user password>

The the following is attempted:
     1. cd (as root) to the mount directory
     2. edit "myfile" (this works)
     3. mv "myfile" to /tmp (this fails, permission denied)

Is this expected behavior, and was it different in previous versions of
Samba?

Sincerely,    Don Watson
Linux Technology and Solutions; Beaverton, OR
503-578-4861/TL: 775-4861; dwatson at us.ibm.com