[Samba] %u and %U different between Win98 and Win XP Pro

George wftd at isaskills.org
Mon Nov 7 22:25:37 GMT 2005

I have a computer here with both Win 98 and Win XP Pro set up as a dual
boot. The computer name and domain are the same in both O/S's. I log in to
them with the user name "george". When I log in from Win 98, %u expands to
my username, "george". When I log in through Win XP, I get "guest". Can
anyone suggest why this is happening?  I don't have any userid's on the
samba box, all the authentication is done on a win2000 server. All I want
the samba box to do is host the "my documents" folder for each student,
based on the user name they log on with.  Anyway, here is my smb.conf - any
help welcomed.

[global]

   workgroup = ISASKILLS

   server string = Training