[Samba] Add machine, user, group, etc. scripts

John T Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Mon Nov 7 16:16:05 GMT 2005

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:03:07 -0200
wrote:

> Michael Barnes escreveu:
>> Can anyone tell me exactly how the various add
>>machine/user/group/etc/
>> scripts work in Samba?  I know how to set them up in
>>smb.conf.  That's
>> not problem.  But how are they invoked?  Some use Samba
>>specific
>> variables like %u and %m.  How do you run a script
>>manually to use these
>> variables?

You can manually TEST the scripts by invoking the name of
the script, and passing parameters on the command line (in
the proper order that the script is expecting it in, of
course)

>> If you have an add user script and a non-user tries to
>>log in, does it
>> create an account for him?
>
> 	Yep. :)

Don't know about this one; we are not yet running Samba 3.

>> If you have an add machine script and the user attempts
>>to log in from a
>> previously non-registered machine, does it automatically
>>add that
>> machine to the mix?
>
> 	Yep! :)

But your answer here does not make sense to me; I thought
the add machine script was used, well, for adding machines
to the domain.  You know... when an administrator level
account tries to have the machine join the domain (My
Computer/Properties/Computer Name/ then clicking "Change"
where it says "To rename this computer or join a domain,
click Change").

A user CANNOT "attempt to log in from a previously
non-registered machine" because the option to log into
that domain does not exist on their login screen.

Or am I missing something here?

- jb