[Samba] Filenames with "special" characters (äöü€¶) on SMB share of Linkstation HD-HLAN250

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sun Nov 6 09:54:59 GMT 2005

Hello!

I've got a Buffalo Linkstation HD-HLAN250. This is a consumer
NAS device, which makes the built-in HD accessible via SMB
and FTP. On that system, some sort of Linux with some sort
of Samba is running.

I'm now trying to create filenames with special characters (ie.
non-ASCII chars) in it. For example "blöder name" (means
"stupid name").

To get access to the share on that NAS device, I added the
following line to my local /etc/fstab:

//HD/share      /HD/TEST        smbfs
noauto,credentials=/local/conf/hd-credentials,uid=guest,gid=users,fmask=0775,dmask=0775,workgroup=EUROPE,rw,lfs,iocharset=utf8,codepage=cp850 0 0

Now I created a file with name "blöder name" on it:

$ touch /HD/TEST/blöder\ name

That filename gets created just fine and Linux sees it just
fine:

$ ls -la /HD/TEST/bl*me
-rwxrwxr-x  1 guest users 0  6. Nov 10:46 /HD/TEST/blöder name

But when I use Windows XP to access the share, the filename is all
messed up - it's shown as "blöder name" instead. That's not
correct :)

Also, when I create "blöder name" from Windows, only Windows sees
filename intact. Linux ls shows it as:

$ ls -la /HD/TEST/bl*win*
-rwxrwxr-x  1 guest users 0  6. Nov 10:48 /HD/TEST/bl?der windows name

Note the "?" after "bl" and before "der". That's not correct
either :)

I also tried to mount that share using "cifs" as fs-type instead
of smbfs with the following line in /etc/fstab:

//HD/share      /HD/TEST2       cifs
noauto,credentials=/local/conf/hd-credentials,uid=guest,gid=users,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,domain=EUROPE,rw,setuids,noperm,mapchars,soft,serverinoi,iocharset=utf8
0 0

But that's even worse... With this, not even Linux can see the
special characters fine:

$ touch /HD/TEST2/blöder\ cifs\ name
$ ls -la /HD/TEST2/bl*cifs*name
-rwxrwxr-x  1 guest users 0  6. Nov 10:51 /HD/TEST2/bl ?der cifs name

And in Windows, that name shows up as "bl Âder cifs name". That's
also not correct :)

In the Basic Setup of the LS, I set ISO8859-15 as the character code.
I can only chose between some cp codepages (cp850, cp437, ...) and
iso8859-1, iso8859-15 and some other ISOs. cp850, iso-8859-1 and
iso-8859-15 are the only options relevant for me (ie. I don't care
about eg. japanese characters).

The HD-HLAN only offers SMB and FTP access; ie. no NFS :(

How do I have to setup everything, so that I can use non-ASCII
characters from every OS and that they show up correctly
everywhere (ie. a "ö" has to be shown as "ö" everywhere and
not as "ö" or " Â")?

Thanks a lot,

Alexander Skwar
--
"The net result is a system that is not only binary compatible with 4.3 BSD,
but is even bug for bug compatible in almost all features."