[Samba] Slow MS Access database after upgrade to Samba3

Jorge Santiago jorge.santiago at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 01:54:42 GMT 2005

Hi,

I had a Debian woody server with samba as PDC with LDAP backend in the
same box, and mixed windows clients (98, XP, etc).  The clients
accessed a 75MB MS Access database (.mdb)  that was put in a Samba
share.  Everything was fast... everything was good...

But, last week I decided to upgrade to debian Sarge, so as you know
Samba was upgraded to Samba3 too (3.0.14a), and now if a user tries to open the
database and is the first user accessing it, it opens really fast
(100Mps network), but any other user after the first who tries to open
it gets the database to open very slow (seems like 10Mbps transfers, as
shown in windows network monitor).

I've enabled and disabled oplocks with no success at all, but I'm
almost sure is some kind of problem with locking, since any other samba
transfer between the server and the clients are fast.

Have anyone spotted this kind of problem that could give me any advice?

Your help is greatly appreciated.  I attach most relevant parts of my
current smb.conf, dbsystem is the share where the MS Access database is
located.

Thanks a lot,

santiago.

/etc/samba/smb.conf:

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

   workgroup = myworkgroup
   netbios name = sambaserver
   server string = %h server
   wins support = yes
   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

####### Authentication #######

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1

   ldap ssl = Off

   obey pam restrictions = no

############ Misc ############

  logon script = netlogon.bat

  socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192

   domain logons = yes
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   local master = yes

   os level = 100

   time server = yes

   getwd cache = yes
   use sendfile = no
   lock spin time = 15
   lock spin count = 30
   hosts allow = 172.25.0.0/16 172.30.0.0/16 127.0.0.1
   interfaces = eth1 eth1:0 lo
   interfaces = eth1 eth1:0 lo
   bind interfaces only = yes
   oplocks = no
   level2 oplocks = no
   change notify timeout = 300
   dos filetimes = yes

#================ Share Definitions =====================

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   oplocks = yes
   level2 oplocks = yes
   root preexec = /usr/local/sbin/sambalogger.sh start %u %m %I
   root postexec = /usr/local/sbin/sambalogger.sh stop %u %m %I

[dbsystem]
        path = /home/samba/dbsystem
        read only = Yes
        browseable = Yes