[Samba] Re: Wintertime/summertime difference - Samba servers show wrong time ?

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri Nov 4 21:04:04 GMT 2005

Surprisingly few threads on this fascinating subject!
(They're all in the Cc:) Only one solution proposed by Thomas
Honigman and Thomas Guenther. In a posting of Feb 8, this year,
they proposed conditioning the use of "kludge GMT", which is
what Samba marshals on the wire as GMT but which is wrong under
most circumstances involving daylight savings time switch,
upon the value of the boolean smb.conf option "use kludge gmt",
even using "TRUE" as default in order not to break the
compatibility.

Can anyone tell why this 9-months old proposal was not accepted ?

I've implemented their patches (but made FALSE the default,
of course) and it solved my problems big way.

The way it works now in the sources, Samba goes out of its way
to force Windows clients to see the file times the way Unix and
other more mature systems see them. If a file was modified at
noon 12:00:00 of any day, it shows 12:00:00 always, regardless
of the date on which it was modified or the date on which one
is beholding it. Samba does it by subtracting from the real GMT
in the timestamps the difference between "TimeDiff(timestamp)"
and "get_serverzone()", which means that it fakes the timestamp
GMT in such a way that Windows still see the right time and not
the wrong Windows time, which is actually what everybody wants
to see, so that pacemakers don't stop and rod injectors don't melt.

Small details like this are show stoppers.